Tuesday 20 December 2011

December 20, 2011

December 20, 2011

Well just a few more days until Christmas.  We bought some Christmas decorations yesterday at the “Eldoret Cultural Shop” – basically a souvenir  shop for us Mzungus.  I am liking that Christmas in non-commercial here.  Christmas is not a secular holiday here.  It is a little more commercial in Nairobi, as I see from the newspapers, but certainly not in Eldoret.  I did buy a few gifts for one of the organizations here and we are going to go out there this Friday December 23.  Look it up if you want.  Google 'Living Room International Kenya'.   This will be a low key Christmas except that we are hosting Christmas dinner for 16.  We are having Kenyans, new Kenyans (previously Canadian), Americans and ourselves.  Ages 7 to late fifties.  Should be fun.  I have even ordered a Turkey to cook(instead of the traditional goat).
I have started to buy my fruits and vegetables at the local market instead of the supermarket.  I went last Saturday and yesterday.  I also went to the fish market last week which had delicious fish from Lake Victoria.  So yesterday a t the market I met Ronald.  For those of you who read my emails in the summer you may remember my story about shopping in the market and talking to the teenage boys.  Well I saw the same group again yesterday.  As I approached the beans and spice shop, Ronald asked me if he could help me in the market (to make some money).  I told him I would let him know when I came out of the shop.  So after I bought my wheat berries and beans I came out and realized I would have two heavy bags to carry and I needed to walk a ways so I ‘hired’ him.  I offered him 100 shillings (for about one hour) but he told me he wanted to buy some new pants for Christmas, so I gave him 200 shillings ($2.40 Cdn).  So Ronald went with me to buy the fruits and vegetables, to the souvenir shop and up to the supermarket.  Ronald has his grade 8 (he is probably 16).  He doesn’t go to school anymore because high school is too expensive.  He lives with this group of boys.  He is a runner and has dreams of becoming a Kenyan athlete. He said he runs 20 km every evening.  He says he saves his money to buy running shoes (he was wearing dress shoes when I saw him).  Kenyan athletes  do very well here and the main track training facility is here in Eldoret because we are at over 7000 feet elevation. I asked him if he would like to continue on with school and he said yes.  So, I told Ronald to look for me next Saturday between 9:00 and 10:00 and he could carry for me again next week. 

All I know is that I am not going to change the world, but little by little, we can help one person at a time.
If don't talk or email you, blessings to you all this Christmas.  May God be with you all and may we all be grateful for the blessing and challenges He has bestowed upon us.  May you have a stress-free week.
Love Lori

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas Jim, Lori and Alex!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    May God bless you as richly as He has blessed me with the gift of your friendship.

    ReplyDelete